There are some great blogs based out of Montreal that focus on green and sustainable living. Some, like The Mindful Table, also focus specifically on the food angle. Here are seven that I particularly enjoy. I encourage you to check them out, add them to your RSS-reader, like them on Facebook and follow them on Twitter!
Naturally, being a selection of Montreal blogs, some are in French and some are in English.
- Aliments D’ici: This is a food- and farming-focussed blog (in French) maintained by the food security working group at QPIRG-UQAM. It has recipes, projects and information about what’s going on in sustainable food in Montreal. They also do workshops and farm tours.
- Bouffe et Compagnie: Maintained by journalist Audrey Lavoie, this is the food blog (in French) of the free daily newspaper Metro. She often focusses on food issues, with a particular focus on Montreal.
- Brutalimentation: If you want seasonal recipes made with wholesome ingredients, then this is the blog for you! There is also the ocasional post on urban markets, growing your own produce, and events. (In French)
- Green Life: This is the green living blog from the Montreal Gazette, so it is well-maintained with up-to-date information. It’s not a food blog, but it has plenty of sustainability- and environmentally-focussed articles about Montreal to feed your mind.
- EnviroMontreal: This is a blog maintained by Montreal freelance journalist Eve Krakow about “environmental issues, events and the people behind them.” The articles are solid, well-researched, and mostly focussed on Montreal. Occasionally the posts veer over into food issues.
- Penser Avant D’Ouvrir La Bouche: This is a great blog (in French) about the ethics behind what we eat. The blog has since been turned into a book. The articles are well-researched and thought-provoking. They also often have a Montreal angle to them
- Sustainable Montreal: This is a great blog providing information about living sustainably in Montreal. It’s not a food blog, but does cover things like food security, urban farming, and waste.
As well, I find that the French newspapers in Montreal are fantastic at covering local environmental and food issues. Over at La Presse, Marie-Claude Lortie really stands out to me for covering the social and environmental issues around food and farming in the province. She doesn’t have a blog, but you can subscribe to a feed of her articles.
Do you favourite Montreal-focussed blogs on sustainability or “green” living? Let me know! Share them in the comments below.